Ask the importance of building book of business to a sales person who earns his livelihood through commission. He will tell you it is the only factor that decides whether he will sell the product or not. You could follow the following strategies on how to build a great book of business.
1. Record everything Make sure you have all the basic information, name, address, email address and phone number. Record them on your database management system. Sounds like huge task but it will be one time work. Hire someone who can do it for you. You could meet the customers face to face and have someone record the details.
2. Get the personal information Once you have the basic information, work on their personal details. Where they work? What is unique about them? Get the details that you could use as reference. Do not forget to get the details of their family members. Use these details to create a relationship with them.
3. Get rid of useless details Every two years got through your database and clean old contacts. Clear all the incorrect or missed information. Contact your database management service and let them know you want to do housekeeping. They will keep you in the loop and check all information.
4. Data mining Data mining in recent times have become important. Today, there huge demand of quality data miners. This is all about finding the person of interest for you from your database. Find the perfect customers for business and what they look like? Compile ample data on such customers. In addition, find people who had good relationship in past.
5. Grow your network It is key to grow a business. Every day a sales person meets new person and it would wise to take their contact details. Even if they seem uninterested in present, they could become customers in future. Make it point to add new person every day. More quickly you gather your customer better, it is for the growth the business.
6. Share your news Once in a month get in touch with your potential client. Monthly newsletter, postcards, and offers are great way to reach out to your customers. Just send them an email, even if it merely says hello. Whenever you have new product or service, send it first to your customers. If you they have bought it from you in the past, they are more likely to buy it in future.
7. Follow up Every week call your loyal customers know how your services or products are working for them. Some say meeting face to face is quite productive, you could use it. Stay in touch on social networking sites like Facebook, or Twitter. Learn more about them. Information you gather from them could be used to get new customer and sell more products.
All these strategies will work if you go through the regularly and keep updating your database with new clients and new information. Build a relationship with regular customers and provide your personal attention to them if they buy regularly from you. Be active when you build you book of business.